In a small garage next to Leon’s Cafe in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas, Leon’s pit bar-b-que was created in 1946, becoming a instant success and paving the way for quality products for the foodservice and retail industry.
1954 was the year Leon’s built the first U.S.D.A. inspected bar-b-que facility in the United States. This facility was expanded in 1960 when Leon’s began producing corn dogs for the foodservice trade.
The use of top quality ingredients and special attention to customer needs attracted a strong following and Leon’s became a leader in the foodservice and retail industry. This rapid growth created the need for a larger facility.
In 1975, Leon’s Texas Cuisine built a new facility and designed a new generation of processing equipment to better serve their customers.
Jalitos, mild stuffed jalapeños, exploded onto the scene in 1985 when Leon’s Texas Cuisine became the first producer with national distribution to offer a line of stuffed jalapeños. So successful were Jalitos that soon after other companies began to copy the product using cheaper ingredients.
The success of Jalitos was so great that Leon’s decided to discontinue producing commercial bar-b-que products because of the decline in demand nationwide for these type products, and devote more space and efforts to Jalitos and corn dogs.